Friday, May 16, 2008

If there can be one argument against humans as communal beings that argument is public transit. we do not speak to each other or look at each other for more than a fleeting moment. We attempt to completely minimize any actual human contact while we are surrounded with the wealth of humanity. A train can be full with society, a bus brimming with connections but we hide from it.
She's pretty, he's distracted, they're up to something. We get these momentary glances into the lives of others before we return to our own thoughts or the front we hold. I'm pretty, busy or up to something. Leave me alone.

Today had me on the full range of public transport devices. Seriously if I'd thrown a cable car in I can't think what kind of mass transit I might be missing. Buses and trains are amazing things. I've also come to the conclusion that I need to stop worrying so much about my routes because Chicago's transit system is actually pretty intuitive. I'm convinced that if anyone (the mentally handicapped excluded) can't make do in a city like Chicago and find everything they need they should be neutered for failure to function as an evolved life form. That said anyone who cannot function here likely can't metabolize sugars either and, as a result, will likely be dead soon anyway.

I let Peter do the google search for a library so I could print off my resume. As a result I ended up spending like an hour trying to get to this place which was, ostensibly, "really close". I ended up getting there too late to print anything or even apply for a card. I ended up going to a Kinkos which was overpriced but necessary. I then went into Starbucks and filled out a new application because I left my old one in Kinkos and there's no way I'm going back there. I bought some kind of mint chocolate chip frappuchino thing to pass the time and make me look legit. All in all that was a ten dollar application. Here's hoping it pans out. It would be a great job since Starbucks is such a nice company to work for, I could transfer to one anywhere I go and it is literally one block away from where I am currently sitting. It might force me to figure out what kind of drink to buy there. something which has always eluded me. I would also be able to figure out why Starbucks coffee is always burned. The mysteries of the universe.

Today's Gem of the Internet- A gem from the comic I've most recently become addicted to, PhD, "Piled Higher and Deeper".

http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=162

No comments:

Post a Comment