Tuesday, April 08, 2008

-Blood and Rain-

I woke up early today alongside Dan and Drew who were going to go with me to the plasma bank. The morning was nice although I'm not a big fan of the a.m. anymore (not that I ever have been). Unfortunately I forgot that in order to register you must have an official document bearing your SSN. As such they had brought really good forms of ID but not ones bearing the all important numerals. So I got to hang out at the clinic while they went home. I hope they got to go back to sleep. The clinic was as fun as ever I got to have a fresh checkup and they say I'm fine although I've gained weight. Fine by them but I'm annoyed.

When I left it was raining. I stopped by the bank to deposit the money I'd made and talk to the manager before walking back to the house to get my books before work. While in the house I also changed out of my trenchcoat (not actually waterproof) and grabbed an umbrella.

Umbrellas are amazing things when you give them their due thought. Part utilitarian item and part social construction they keep the rain off of our backs but they can also keep the rain off of those we stand near. Such a simple idea, this portable frame supported canopy. In my head I suppose the ideal of an umbrella is one large enough to keep both a gentleman and his lady dry as the perambulate. Today I was alone beneath my umbrella. It gave me pause in a way it never has before. It's new this preoccupation that makes tiny things remind me of my loneliness. Before I had to think of women or other people's relationships to trigger that sense but of late small things have reminded me. It is disconcerting.

Today in rehearsal I got to be really angry as Shu Fu and throw a big box around. little did I know there was a sharp piece of inexplicable metal sticking out of the inside of the box. As a result I currently have bandages on my right index and middle fingers, the things we are subjected to by our art.

Today's Gem: Amazing Gentlemen's Umbrellas, need I say more.
http://www.swaineadeney.co.uk/products/brigg_umbrellas/index.html

Thank you Greg Long for reminding me of this on such a rainy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment